If you're like me, you've already been inside due to rain before the storm and you can't imagine being inside for another two days with kids. Don't worry! We've researched ideas for hurricane family fun. These are ideas you can do without water and without power. We hope this lessens the boredom of keeping kids inside and safe during a storm or emergency. Scroll down for hurricane family fun!
1. Do art projects
2. Play games
3. Read books
4. Have a treasure hunt in the house
5. Letterbox in the house (Make clues or make a map that takes you on a scavenger hunt through the house. Make the clues for them, then have them do the clues for each other)
6. If you have a propane stove, have a tea party! Or pretend if you don't want to heat up water.
7. Write down the kids' favorite recipes and make a family recipe book
8. Pretend to go camping in the living room or in your safe room area
9. Play long car ride games in the house, like, "I spy, I spy something..."
10. Put on a fashion show.
11. Make musical instruments and then create a marching band.
12. Play with balloons
13. Do science experiments or engineering with marshmallows and toothpicks
14. Make paper bag puppets and then put on a puppet show
15. Build something with blocks or Legos
17. Go on a trip and learn geography and culture...with a travel book
18. Activity books
19. Cook dinner together
20. Track the storm on your hurricane grid. Print one before the power goes out
21. Help neighbors clean up their yards post storm, as long as its ok to go outside
22. Learn about hurricanes, geography of where the hurricane has hit, science behind them
23. Have a family talk: Go over the best part of their day, the saddest part of their day, and the funniest part of their day
24. Go over your family emergency communication plan
25. Clean and go through closets. Its a great time to organize and purge clothes and toys