Family events, kids activities and parenting resources in the Jacksonville area!
12/01: Mandarin Museum Winter Celebration
The Mandarin Museum & Historical Society (MMHS) invites all to the 19th Annual Winter Celebration from 11:00 AM – 4:00 PM on Saturday, December 1. This event is held at the Walter Jones Historical Park, located at 11964 Mandarin Rd.
Activities are planned for the community that will educate, entertain and delight all ages, including:
• Mandarin youth musician - Miquel Huertes, violin, strolling the park
• 11:30 – noon – Camille and Camiya Ferron, MMHS volunteers and singers, front porch of Mandarin Museum
• noon – 1:00 Mrs. Kate Carpenter – original, educational and interactive children’s songs – in the Schoolhouse
• 1:00 – 2:00 North Florida Folk Network member Al Poindexter – Florida stories through original songs – on the front porch of the Mandarin Museum
• 2:00 - 3:30 “Under the Oaks” acoustic music jam from – front yard of Museum
• The Webb/Jones Farmhouse, the 1898 St. Joseph’s Mission Schoolhouse for African-American Children, the 1876 barn and Losco Winery will all be open for tours and there will be demonstrations of bridge playing and weaving.
• A Soldier’s Story” exhibit about Pvt. Marion Losco, a Loretto/Mandarin resident that served in World War I and died in France in 1918. Objects and letters that belonged to Pvt. Losco are on display as well as a full WWI uniform.
• Meet and talk with Dr. Keith Holland and other Maple Leaf divers who recovered precious Civil War artifacts from the National Historic Landmark shipwreck in the St. Johns River. The book about Maple Leaf will be available and Dr. Holland and the divers are happy to sign them.
• horse-drawn hayrides by Jacksonville Carriage
• antique cars
• Friends of Augusta Savage (1892-1962 African-American Sculptress from Green Cove Springs) – Eugene Francis
• Civil War re-enactors – Union, Confederate, Union Navy, and the Golden Teacups
• Spanish period re-enactor
• Santa and Mrs. Claus from 11-3
• nature crafts and rock painting for kids
• Mike Barwald, Flying Dragon Citrus Nursery – answering all your citrus questions
• Gator Clowns – face-painting
• old fashioned games
• First Coast Plein Aire Painters will be in the park painting Walter Jones Historic Park scenes all day long.
• Two children’s book author from Mandarin will be present. Jane Wood will be in the museum from 11-1 to sell and autograph her book “Trouble on the St. Johns River” AND June Weltman, will be present from 1 to 3 to sell and autographed copies of her book “Mystery of the Missing Candlestick.”
• Non-profits will be represented, sharing information about information and opportunities with their groups: Mandarin Garden Club, UF Extension Office, Mandarin Community Club, Orange Park Historical Society, Stetson Kennedy Foundation and Greenscape of Jacksonville.
• The museum gift shop is stocked with many holiday gift ideas. Books and art prints are on-sale by local authors and local artists – Mandarin scenes and topics.
• Mandarin History Th